July 1, 2013

Everything has Beauty, but not Everyone sees It

Derya, Shop Window Designer
Hat: Mudo Collection
Shirt: Bershka
Sunglasses: Ray-Ban
For one month now it is summer in Istanbul. People show a lot of skin and I made an interesting and shocking discovery: I am the only person on the beach and at the pool whose skin is tattoo free. It seems as if everyone is inked up except me. The trend for tattoos is not exactly breaking news, but in the last year tattoos became mainstream. I could not help, but wonder why people get tattoos.
Tattoos are expensive, they are painful and they are permanent. Many people find them unattractive, or even repulsive, others see the beauty in them. If you get a tattoo, you will be judged by others because of that tattoo. People think that tattoos are just a cry for attention, a rebellion against society, or a way to hide who we truly are. Some will say you get tattoos in order to be different, yet others will claim you are just trying to fit in with all of the other tattooed people. In all honesty, all of those opinions are true, but at the same time couldn’t be more wrong, I think. 
I met Derya last September and I wanted him to become part of Imprimoloco because I could see that his tattoos are an important part of his character. I realized that tattoos became mainstream from a very top down perspective because every tattoo has it's own story to tell. Some tattoos are a representation of a period of time or specific event which was a turning point for that person. If someone wants to commemorate a lost friend, relative or even a pet with a tattoo, why try to take that away from them? Some people wear crosses around their necks, others get them tattooed on their bodies. For people who feel strongly about their religion, a tattoo is just another way of showing others their faith. Some people don’t get tattooed for deep personal or spiritual reasons, they simply like the art and design aspect of it. There are far too many reasons behind tattoos to try to list them all in a single blog post and that was not my intention. The point I am trying to make is that you never know the reason behind a tattoo unless you ask. Who knows - maybe I will get tattooed one day too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment