November 12, 2012

The Symbol of Wisdom

Eda, Fashion Design Student
Earrings: Boutique in Kadiköy
Necklace: Present
Shirt: Batik
Pair of Leggings: Batik
Boots: Stradivarius
Bracelet: Market in Ortaköy 
Owls are everywhere. Just look around: Shirts, Bracelets, Rings, Bags...I noticed Eda because the owl bag fits perfectly with her style. Eda just finished her fashion design studies and is now looking for a job. Her owl bag is the perfect reason for me to find out more about this trend. I think Mark Jacobs put out an owl inspired collection back in fall 09 - the trend grew after that. All though in the 1970s owls were huge in interior design. Taking symbolism from the owl directly, it is noteworthy that it is a creature of the night. Nocturnal creatures are symbolic of inner-knowing, psychic ability and intuition- so is the owl. Ancient Athenians made the owl an emblem of wisdom and even emblazoned the image of the owl on their coinage. I definitely like the owl trend and especially the symbolic meaning behind. During my owl research I stumbled upon a wise owl quote: "We are all visionaries, and what we see is our soul in things." - Henrie Amiel

No comments:

Post a Comment